Dental implants are one of the most common cosmetic procedures performed around the world. Although they can be time-consuming and complicated, most people agree that the process is worth the end result. Getting your beautiful smile back is priceless!
Now, that long, drawn-out process is simplified with same day dental implants.
How can dental implants be done in one day? Is it magic?
No, but it can seem like it!
The science of dentistry has created an innovative way for you to have full dental implants in a day. The trick is that your dentist has to have specialized training. At Mountain View Dental, we’re proud to offer this service to our qualified patients.
One day dental implants have a lot of advantages, but they’re not for everyone. Interested in seeing if this newer procedure could help you fill in those gaps where you have missing or decayed teeth? This guide will tell you the basics of this exciting dental technology.
The Breakdown: One Day Dental Implants Vs. Traditional Implants
Same day and traditional implants have a lot in common. The biggest difference is in the time each one takes to get you from start to finish.
Traditional Implants: The Process
Most patients who schedule an implant procedure still have decaying teeth that need to be removed, or teeth around the implant area that have to be pulled. This is the first step in the typical implant process.
After the extractions are performed, your body has to heal before an implant can be placed. The implant is made of a form of titanium alloy, a material that is used in a lot of surgeries because it’s easily accepted by the body instead of rejected.
An implant is a screw-shaped post that is inserted into the jawline. It acts as the root of your crown, which is your new tooth. When the implant fuses to the jaw in a process called osseointegration, it’s almost impossible for it to come out. But the fusion process also takes a few weeks, and sometimes longer, depending on your body.
Once the implant is fused to your jaw, the final step is performed. Your new teeth are cemented to the implant in a way that lets them act like a natural tooth. You can chew and talk as you would have with your previously healthy mouth.
Denture Implants in One Day: The Difference
With that long, complicated process, can dental implants be done in one day?
Yes, if your dental office, like Mountain View Dental, has the right training and equipment to handle the care necessary.
With same day implants, the tooth extraction and implant are both completed on the same day. Each step you’d have in three shorter visits in a traditional implant is combined into one longer office visit. You have more time in the chair in one sitting, but less time there overall.
How these work is simple:
- Your tooth extraction and implant are on the same day. Instead of waiting weeks for the extraction site to heal, immediate dental implants are placed where there would have been a hole. This reduces the chance of bacteria setting in, infection, and other complications.
- Once the implant is placed, your new crowns are added. If you’ve already had custom-made crowns created, these may be your permanent and final touch. Otherwise, you’ll have a temporary crown placed and will come back for the permanent ones to be cemented to the implants.
- You’ll only have to return for one follow-up appointment to make sure everything is healing as it should. Unless there are any issues, you’ll have your dental implants in a day!
If you’re going to need implants anyway, same day dentures are a beneficial choice. However, you have to be able to handle having three procedures in one sitting, so your body has to be in good overall health.
Are Same Day Implants Right For You?
There are pros and cons to having implants done in one day. It’s not the only option you have for your oral health problems, and your dentist could have ideas you’re not aware of.
To get an overview as to whether this procedure might be a good fit for you, consider these facts:
- Traditional and same day implants require a post made from titanium alloy to be inserted into the jawbone. Because of this, it’s possible that you may experience slight bone loss in the area, slightly more so with same day implants.
- If you don’t have enough healthy jawbone to handle the implants, talk to your dentist about the possibility of a bone graft.
- Dental implants of both types will last anywhere from 15 to 20 years if you take care of them. However, implant adjustments are common if you have any jaw bone deterioration since it shifts the implant’s location.
The cost of either type of implant depends on your oral health situation. Until your examination, it’s hard to give an estimated price. But in some cases, the same day teeth cost is almost the same as traditional implants.
Contact Mountain View Dental to See How We Can Help
If you’re considering same day implants, the first thing you need is a consultation to see if you’re a good candidate for the procedure. Remember, three steps are combined into one visit. We’ll review your medical and dental history and work with you to come up with a treatment plan.
In general, if you’re in good health and you’re not a smoker, you’ll probably be able to schedule same day implants. Smoking increases the chance of complications. If you’re willing to quit before the procedure, we can get you scheduled!
However, if you have advanced gum disease, autoimmune diseases, or certain chronic illnesses, we may need to discuss other options.
At Mountain View Dental, we’re here to handle all your oral health issues. Our goal is to help you get the smile you want in a safe and effective way. Contact us today to schedule a consultation for implants or to take care of all your dental needs!